Arizona car insurance page border
Arizona car insurance page borderArizona car insurance page borderArizona car insurance page border
Arizona car insurance page border
Copyright: Car Insurance Inc. 2018        Arkansas Car Insurance

Latest Arizona car insurance laws

What is "mandatory insurance"?

What happens if I don't get insurance?

Will my out-of-state insurance be acceptable for Arizona? ​

How long do I have to get insurance after I register my car?

What is "de-insurance" and how do I de-insure my vehicle? ​

I received a notice that my plates and registration were suspended...why?

My vehicle is being restored, so I dropped the insurance; and now the registration is suspended. What should I do?

Why isn't my insurance on file? I provided it at the time I registered my car

How can I clear a registration suspension?

When I provide proof of insurance, when will my plates and registration be reinstated?

Where should I send my updated insurance information? ​

I submitted the necessary information. Why did I get a notice stating my plates and registration are suspended?

I was in an accident and the other driver had no insurance; can you provide me with their insurance information?

If I have an insurance suspension in Arizona, will this affect my getting a driver license in another state?​

HomeAbout UsTermsPrivacy PolicySitemap

Car Insurance Inc. Logo
Our car insurance quotes comparison service, brings Arizona motorists and insurance companies together in one place.
We will show you the best car insurance price quotes in Arizona and the latest Arizona car insurance laws before you buy.  Price quotes are available in all cities for liability, collision, comprehensive and all other coverage requirements.

Arizona Car Insurance

Compare quotes here...

Blue arrow graphic pointing to car insurance quotes widget
Frequently Asked Questions
Arizona requires that every motor vehicle operated on our roadways be covered by one of the statutory forms of financial responsibility, more commonly called liability insurance, through a company that is authorized to do business in Arizona. This includes golf carts, motorcycles and mopeds.

Minimum levels of financial responsibility are: 

$15,000 bodily injury liability for one person and $30,000 for two or more persons 
$10,000 property damage liability 
Law enforcement officers will ask you for proof of insurance at the time of traffic stops or accidents. Insurance companies notify MVD of all policy cancellations, non-renewals, and new policies. If your insurance company sends MVD a notice that your policy is no longer active, we will send you an inquiry notice to verify insurance status.

Failure to maintain proper insurance could lead to the suspension of your vehicle registration and/or driver license. To reinstate these privileges, fees and future proof of financial responsibility must be filed with MVD. The future proof requirement is most commonly an SR22 form from an insurance company. This can be expensive to the vehicle owner, especially since the law requires the owner to carry the SR22 for three years from the date of suspension.

No. – All vehicles registered in Arizona must be insured by a company licensed to do business in this state. Arizona residents who are out of state (including military personnel), however, may submit a De-Insured Certificate on a vehicle, on a short-term basis.
Insurance is required immediately, before driving the vehicle.
De-insurance is a method of temporarily not maintaining the required insurance on the vehicle until it is ready to be driven or placed on the road again. A de-insured vehicle will not be suspended due to lack of insurance unless it is driven on the roadways of this state. To de-insure your vehicle, complete the on-line De-Insured Certificate . Once you have submitted the form, the information will be entered onto the vehicle record, within 2 business days. 
A suspension could have been generated for one of several reasons: 1) MVD has not received proof of Arizona insurance, 2) There was a lapse in insurance coverage, 3) There was an accident case opened, 4) A newly registered vehicle may not have been on system when insurance information was received, 5) There was a VIN (vehicle identification number) error, either entered into the system incorrectly or provided incorrectly by the insurance company.  
Complete a De-Insured Certificate form. Once restoration is complete, get proof of insurance, complete a non-use certificate and apply for registration. We also recommend that you retain receipts showing parts purchased; they may be required to document the periods of non-use.
State law requires that the insurance company and the owner submit proof of Arizona insurance within 30 days after initial registration. Insurance companies are also required to routinely notify MVD of all policy cancellations, renewals and new issuance.
You must provide proof of Arizona liability insurance that was in effect at the time of the suspension. Or, if that proof cannot be obtained, you must pay a $50 reinstatement fee and provide current proof of Arizona liability insurance.

Payment may be made by cash, cashier's check or money order. Some offices accept credit cards. Cash and credit card not accepted by mail.  No personal checks accepted.
In some cases immediately, in others within 24 hours after receipt; provided the information submitted meets the requirements of the law. Also, you must ensure that the information is sent to the MVD representative with whom you spoke, to guarantee immediate reinstatement of plates and registration.
If you received a notice from us regarding your insurance, please follow the instructions on that notice or Contact Us. You may also go to any MVD or authorized Third Party office.
A suspension could have been generated for one of several reasons: 1) the information you sent may not have been received, 2) the vehicle identification number may have been incorrect on the document provided, 3) insurance information submitted may not cover the time of suspension, 4) documents may have crossed in the mail, or 5) out-of-state insurance may have been provided when Arizona proof of insurance was required. For details concerning your case Contact Us.
If an accident occurred and proof of insurance was not available or was not valid, you may submit an Insurance Information Request, form # 40-5901 along with a copy of the police report and a $3 fee. We will then release any insurance information on record for the date of the accident. If no information is available, you will be so advised. In that event, it may be in your best interest to file a civil suit with the Clerk of the Superior Court and obtain a judgment. You can then file the judgment with us, and we will suspend the individual's driving privileges until the judgment is satisfied with the court. 
Yes, you will not be able to obtain a driver license in another state until your suspension is cleared in Arizona. It may also prevent you from obtaining vehicle insurance in that state. 
HomeAbout UsTermsPrivacy PolicySitemap

Car Insurance Inc. Logo
Compare quotes here...

Blue arrow graphic pointing to car insurance quotes widget